The Power of Prayer (March 12, 2023)
Sermon Outline for Sunday, March 12, 2023
Pastor Andy Lambert
PASSAGES: Jeremiah 33:3; Psalm 50:15; Luke 18:1; Romans 8:26; Psalm 4:3; Exodus 22:23; Psalm 34:5; Genesis 32:9, 12, 26; 2 Chronicles 20:12; Hebrews 12:14; Mark 11:25
• WHY DO WE NEED TO PRAY?
• Because God the Father tells us to
Psalm 50:15 ~ “and call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.”
Worshiping God by obeying Him opens the windows of heaven to us. We should embrace God’s promise to true worshippers: when we live in obedience to His commandments, we have the liberty to call for His help. In times of trouble, we can boldly turn to Him and He will deliver us. As a result, we will continue to glorify God, offering Him our sacrifices of thanksgiving and ongoing obedience.
• Because God the Son urges us to pray
Luke 18:1 ~ “And he told them a parable to the effect that they ought always to pray and not lose heart.”
Jesus was strong and forceful in stressing the believer’s duty to persevere in prayer.
• Because God the Holy Spirit prays through us
Romans 8:26 ~ “Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.”
The Holy Spirit prays for us according to the will of God; therefore, God knows exactly what the Spirit is requesting for us. There is perfect agreement between the Holy Spirit and God the Father.
• WHY IS PRAYER A POWER? The eternal God acts
• He hears, “The Lord hears when I call to Him” — Psalm 4:3
• He hears and answers, “I will surely hear their cry” — Exodus 22:23
• He refreshes, “Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed.” — Psalm 34:5
• WHO EXPERIENCES THE POWER OF PRAYER? Those who have been separated
• Genesis 32:9 “And Jacob said, “O God of my father Abraham and God of my father Isaac, O Lord who said to me, ‘Return to your country and to your kindred, that I may do you good,’”
• Genesis 32:12 “But you said, ‘I will surely do you good, and make your offspring as the sand of the sea, which cannot be numbered for multitude.’”
• Genesis 32:26 ~ “Then he said, “Let me go, for the day has broken.” But Jacob said, “I will not let you go unless you bless me.””
II Chronicles 20:12 ~ “O our God, will you not execute judgment on them? For we are powerless against this great horde that is coming against us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on you.”
• His lack of strength — “… we are powerless …”
• His lack of wisdom — “We do not know what to do, …”
• His reliance upon the Lord alone — “… but our eyes are on you.”
• WHO WILL NOT EXPERIENCE THE POWER OF PRAYER?
• Stubborn, irreconcilable people
• When Hebrews 12:14 says, “Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord.”
• Jesus says, “And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.” — Mark 11:25
• THE POWER OF PRAYER
It is available to you, and yet you do not have it. I ask; does God get tired?
Pastor Andy Lambert ~ firstname.lastname@example.org
Call/Text: 205.642.8744 ext 101